This grand Victorian-style dessert is a show stopper that takes only minutes to whip up with the aid of high quality purchased prepared ingredients like pound cake and eggnog. Embellish it further with additional fruit, chocolate chips, or whatever takes your fancy.
Serves: 4 to 6
Preparation time: 7 minutes
- Pour eggnog into a deep flat bowl or compote dish.
- Arrange cake over eggnog and against edges of bowl.
- Moisten with sherry and brandy.
- Sprinkle lemon zest and almonds evenly over cake.
- Spoon on Strawberry Raspberry Preserves, distribute banana, pineapple and amaretti over preserves.
- Either pipe on the heavy cream in rosettes, or spoon it on top of the trifle.
- Serve by spooning trifle from the bottom of the dish to combine all ingredients.
Featuring Sarabeth's Strawberry Raspberry Preserves
1 cup prepared eggnog
1/2 small pound cake or 1 package lady fingers, cut into 3 X 1 X 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup sweet sherry
2 tablespoons brandy
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup slivered almonds,lightly toasted
1/2 cup Sarabeth's Strawberry Raspberry Preserves
1 small banana, sliced
3/4 cup fresh or canned pineapple, cut into bite-size pieces
6 amaretti or macaroons, crushed
1/2 pint heavy cream, whipped until stiff, sweetened with sugar